the bijou theatre

opened in 1906 by manager ed c. curdts and j.b. league, the bijou was on of the first theatres in greenville to take advantage of the growing popularity of "moving pictures", although they also featured traveling vaudeville acts to perform between pictures. Curdts billed himself as "the moving picture man" in newspaper ads and even had a dog named "bijou". from 1906-the late 1920's, the bijou was known for its band, touted as "the only 6-piece band in town" in 1912. the band was under the direction of professor charles huber, of greenville female college. after sound became commonplace in motion pictures, the bijou stuck to movies until it was destroyed by fire in 1948. It was located at 106 N. Main St., currently the home of lemongrass restaurant.