the lyric theatre

in the fall of 1910, the lyric theatre opened to the public, offering two vaudeville performances a day, along with silent films and new reels. The vaudeville bill would change twice a week, which kept the venue a fast-paced spot for entertainment. The theatre was located at 218 N. Main St., current location of southern fried cotton, which was in close proximity to its competitors; the bijou theatre, pictoral theatre, and the grand opera house. manager S.A. Quinerly ran a successful enterprise for the first year, after which the theatre was bought out by the greenville amusement co. the lyric discontinued vaudeville, and began offering 4 movie showings a day. this is when popular lyric orchestra director Harry p. sutton was moved to the casino theatre and was replaced by Mr. frank harris from the bijou theatre. the lyric only had a 4 member band, but it remained a popular attraction throughout the theatre’s life. in 1915, the greenville amusement co. decided to close the doors on the lyric to make room in the market for the new majestic theatre.